Make a Plan to Get Home Safely from New Year’s Eve Party
Prince George, B.C.- Every year during New Year’s Eve, an average of 10 people are injured in 50 crashes in the North Central region.
ICBC has put out a call for New Year’s revelers to plan ahead for a safe drive home if they will be partying tomorrow night.
There are options, including transit, taxis, designating a driver, and Operation Red Nose.
In an ICBC survey, designated drivers across B.C. shared their funniest experiences getting their friends and family home safely. ICBC is sharing these stories to encourage everyone to take their turn as the designated driver over the holidays.
- “Many years ago in Prince George I was [doing a ridealong with the] RCMP. We were parked outside a bar. A person came out of the bar, opened the rear passenger door and sat down. Believing they were in a taxi, they gave their address. The officer noticed the address was close so he drove him home. When he tried to pay, the officer gave them his business card and said, “Tonight’s ride is on us – thanks for calling a cab.” I guess in this case the RCMP was the designated driver and I have no doubt the next day many questions about the trip home must have been going through the passenger’s mind when he saw the police card.”
- “I delivered an intoxicated friend to an address he gave me only to find out the next day that he didn’t live there. The residents looked after him and I drove him to his actual home the next day.”
- “Listening to my friends sing ‘Don’t Cry For Me Argentina’ over and over again.”
- “I was driving someone home and he was giving me directions. When we arrived, he got out and was met at the door by a woman who refused to let him in. Turns out, they had been divorced for two months and in his drunken condition, he forgot he no longer lived there.”
- “My wife’s 20-year reunion. Some of the occupants thought they were in a taxi and tried to pay me.”
- “I was the designated driver for 12 ladies celebrating a birthday. I rented a van and drove them to several bars. I was surrounded by all these beautiful women and they would only dance with me… I never had a better night in all of my single life.”