Salmon Valley Couple Lose Home, Belongings
Prince George, B.C. – A Salmon Valley couple has lost their home and all but a few possessions but fortunately, they escaped a raging Saturday morning fire virtually unscathed.
Prince George RCMP Constable Jason Rumming says “just after 10 (Saturday) morning we responded to a structure fire in the 7100 block Salmon Valley Road. It was an accidental fire at a residence. The owner was home at the time, we had no serious injuries with the couple that lived at the house (but) they appear to have lost everything.” He says the Salmon Valley Volunteer Fire Department remained on scene throughout the afternoon, dealing with hot spots.
Const. Rumming did not want to elaborate on the nature of the fire, stating only that “it was an accidental fire that occurred at the back of the residence.” He added “there was nothing criminal in nature at all, it was an accident.”
Const. Rumming says the structure was a mobile home with additions built onto it. He estimated the homeowners to be in their late 50s or early60s and says the man suffered a burnt hand, but that was the only injury. He was the only person at the home at the time of the fire.
The constable says “it was just a horrible accident, lucky no one was hurt. He got his cat out which he was happy with, a couple of personal belongings and like he said, everything will be replaced (through insurance coverage).”
The value of the trailer and additions, which were a total loss, is not known. However, the volunteer firefighters did manage to save the outbuildings on the property.