2017 Budget Consultation Meeting Tonight
Prince George, B.C. – Those wanting their say in next year’s provincial budget will have the chance to give their two cents worth today from 4:30-8:30 p.m. at the Civic Centre.
The all-party Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services is travelling to 15 communities province-wide to hear from interested individuals and organizations about their fiscal priorities.
“Public hearings are a vital component of the committee’s work,” said committee chair Wm. Scott Hamilton. “We need to hear from British Columbians on how they would prioritize fiscal sustainability with spending on health, education, and social programs, and investments in critical infrastructure, among other priorities.”
Budget consultations are held annually in accordance with the Budget Transparency and Accountability Act. The deadline for input is Friday, October 14 and the committee will release a report on the results of its consultations by November 15, 2016.
The bi-partisan committee includes the following members:
- NDP MLA Carole James (Victoria-Beacon Hill)
- Liberal MLA Dan Ashton (Penticton)
- NDP MLA Robin Austin (Skeena)
- Liberal MLA Eric Foster (Vernon-Monashee)
- Liberal MLA Simon Gibson (Abbotsford-Mission)
- NDP MLA George Heyman (Vancouver-Fairview)
- NDP MLA Jennifer Rice (North Coast)
- Liberal MLA Jackie Tegart (Fraser-Nicola)
- Liberal MLA John Yap (Richmond-Steveston)
The next meeting will be tomorrow in Quesnel from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Best Western Plus Tower. For more information, click here.