Preventing Electrical Equipment Fires
Prince George, B.C. – Today marks the start of Fire Prevention Week in Canada with emphasis placed on ensuring your electrical equipment is safe.
The B.C. Safety Authority says three common points of fire origin are portable electric heaters, bathroom fans and power bars or extension cords. And, with cooler weather already here the BCSA has some tips and suggestions regarding the use of these items.
Regarding portable electric heaters you’re advised to make sure the heater is in good condition. As well, don’t place it near anything combustible like curtains, bedding, newspapers or laundry.
Look for a certification mark when buying power bars or extension cords. Make sure they are in good working order and replace any that are damaged. Don’t put them in high traffic areas and do not use them on a long-term or permanent basis. The BCSA says they are only intended for temporary use. Also, don’t overload your power bars and extension cords.
Finally, bathrooms fans can be hazardous if they become overheated. First off, ensure the power is turned off before cleaning or servicing your fan. Secondly, remove any dust buildup with a vacuum or dry cloth.