Clown Bans Up to Individual Schools
Prince George, B.C. – There will be no clowning around at Nukko Lake Elementary School this Halloween.
Nukko Lake Parent Advisory Council president Gillian Burnett says parents there were given notice on October 16 that no clown costumes would be allowed to be worn by children on October 31st.
She says it’s due to online threats made earlier this month in Prince George which led to a pair of code yellows, or school lockdowns, on October 6th and October 7th.
The threats, made on social media, featured graphics of clowns bearing firearms and warning that certain high schools in Prince George were to be targeted.
Two people were arrested in connection to that threat, a 16-year-old and a 17-year old, though one was later released from police custody. The Prince George RCMP later determined the threats to be “non-credible.”
Burnett, who has two children at the school, supports the decision.
“Yeah I do, it’s really a respectful request not to wear clown costumes.”
However, that doesn’t necessarily mean all schools in the district will be enforcing the ban.
250News contacted the Prince George School District for clarification on the matter and were provided the following statement by superintendent of schools Marilyn Marquis-Forster:
“Principals lead school communities in planning for Halloween activities. Each school has a unique approach to observing Halloween within its own community and during each school year.
“School Principals take responsibility for communicating appropriate dress codes at all times including during Halloween celebrations. They will communicate to their students and families regarding Halloween 2016 activities. Parents who have questions should contact their child’s school for clarification.”