250 News - Your News, Your Views, Now

October 27, 2017 8:30 pm

It Was a Relatively Quiet Halloween

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 @ 11:22 AM

policeidPrince George, B.C. – There were lots of treats and very few tricks  for Halloween in Prince George.

RCMP in Prince George  say they  attended 50 calls for service between 6 last night and 6 this morning.    Normally, PG. RCMP   have about 107 calls per day.  Prince George RCMP Media Liaison Officer Corporal Craig Douglass says  the extra presence of police  may have  played  a part in the reduced  number of calls.   According to Cpl. Douglass,  there were only a few calls that stood out from the norm:


  • At approximately 7:45 PM, a report of a youth threatening other youth with a handgun near 5th Avenue and Tabor Boulevard was received. Members attended and located a youth male with a loaded replica pistol BB gun. While on-scene, officers received another report that the same male had inappropriately touched a youth female in a sexual manner. The male was arrested for Sexual Assault, Uttering Threats and Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose. The investigation is continuing;
  • At approximately 9:40 PM, police received a report of an assault near the corner of Massey Boulevard and Vanier Drive in Prince George. A group of youth were confronted by an unknown male talking about harming people. The suspect pushed a female youth down and then pushed a male youth into a fence.   The group of teens fled the area.   All efforts to locate the suspect were negative. He is described as Caucasian, slim, wearing blue jeans and a green coat;
  • At about 10:30 PM, police were called to a weapons report near the corner of 15th Avenue and Spruce Street in the City. An adult male was reportedly swinging a hard object at the end of a string and yelling. Members attended and located the intoxicated male near Vancouver Street and 12th He was arrested and lodged in cells unlit sober. The homemade weapons was seized and will be destroyed;
  • Just after 12:30 AM, the Prince George RCMP received a report of a commercial Break & Enter on the 200 block of 1st Two persons entered a locked compound. Officers attended and arrested two adult females, aged 29 & 21. Both were released for court at a future date. The investigation is continuing;
  • Just before 3:30 AM, officers responded to a report of a commercial Break & Enter on the 2200 block of Queensway in Prince George. A suspect gained entry to the business and stole a small amount of cash and fled before police were called. The suspect is described as a male, slim build, under 6′ tall, wearing a grey hoody, jeans & sneakers. The investigation in continuing.


Anyone with information  is asked to contact  Prince George RCMP at  (250)561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477


This is an interesting comment from the police.

“Craig Douglass says the extra presence of police may have played a part in the reduced number of calls.”

So it’s almost a Catch 22. The police are too busy to patrol because they get so many calls, but calls would go down if there were more police presence?

Based on the calls they had last night, I wouldn’t want their job having to deal with the mentally ill and socially maladjusted on a regular basis, all the while your every move recorded.

Relatively quiet ? Bloody firework . A pox on all that sell them and use them .

    We have a dog who shakes with thunder storms and fireworks. We are not the only ones with a dog like that.

    There were several places in the City which had fireworks that were advertised. I hope that all of them were in areas not surrounded by residential buildings.

    Freimueller Park was not one of those. It is surrounded by single family dwellings with their backyards facing the park. The fireworks started at about 7:20pm, were typically no more than 5 minutes long, then a quiet period of 10 to 15 minutes, then a repeat, I assume as a result of someone else letting their fireworks off. That kept going till just before 10pm. So, two and a half hours of “is this it?”

    Our dog was just beginning to settle down and off they went again.

    At 10:40 I figured everything had quietened down, so took the dog for a walk. Did not even get to the end of the driveway and pop went a noisemaker … then another one …. And another. The dog pulled me back into the house.

    Those who feel the same way need to make a presentation to City Council to request a reasonable fireworks bylaw to be enacted to restrict the use of fireworks to large open spaces and prohibit the use on any other public and private property except when licensed to do so with reasonable conditions attached.

    Too bad this came too late for Talktober. This has been an emerging issue for some time and it appears to be getting worse.

    Could not agree more Ataloss. Dogs all over town are put under incredible stress and many go missing in their panic to escape. I wish people would grow up and get over this simple form of entertainment.

Hum Halloween expect fireworks at any time. I had a dog that would freak out but kept him in the basement that night and he was fine. In general its only one night.

    poor dog wondered what he/she did wrong.

Meanwhile the 19 firemen on duty had a good nights sleep presumably???????

Comments for this article are closed.