Province Issues Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Thursday, December 22, 2016 @ 5:52 AM
Prince George, B.C. – Tis’ the season for holiday fires and with that in mind the Office of the Fire Commissioner and Emergency Management BC has issued some reminders on how to keep your home safe over Christmas.
Candle safety and holiday decorating:
- Use non-combustible for tea lights and votive candles. Battery-operated candles are in excellent alternative.
- Ensure that all candles are extinguished before going to bed or if they will be left attended.
- Keep combustibles, such as trees, wrapping paper and decorations, away from heat sources.
- Ensure your real tree stays fresh by watering it often (as Prince George Fire Rescue Chief Fire Prevention Officer Marcel Profeit told 250News in November. See previous story here). Consider a fire-resistant artificial tree as an alternative.
- Ensure candle holders are placed on a stable surface and never leave lit candles unattended.
- Only use lights which have been tested and labelled by a certified testing laboratory.
- Always turn incandescent decorative lights for real trees off before leaving home or going to sleep. Certified timers can be used to pre-set ‘on’ and ‘off’ times.
- Ensure electrical outlets are not overloaded with various devices.
- When using gas fireplaces with young children present, consider providing a barrier to prevent physical contact as the glass front can reach over 300 degrees Celsius and takes 45 minutes to cool off.
- Be sure that cooking is never left unattended.
Smoke alarms and fire escape planning
- Ensure that working smoke alarms are provided on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area.
- Test and clean smoke alarms regularly and change batteries at least twice a year.
- Develop a fire escape plan, practice it regularly and have at least two ways out of your home.
For tips on how to stay safe, you can also follow Emergency Management BC on Twitter: @EmergencyInfoBC and @PreparedBC.
Don’t forget to be fire safe this holiday season
Whew, that was a timley reminder, I was just about to hang a candle on my real Christmas tree that I have never watered!
Comments for this article are closed.