Thieves Target Firearms
Prince George, B.C. – Make sure you secure those firearms.
That from the Prince George RCMP after guns from two homes in the city were stolen in the past few days.
Cpl. Craig Douglass says the first break and enter occurred late Sunday night at a home on the John Hart Highway.
He says officers arrived to find four firearms and ammunition was stolen including:
- 12-gauge shotgun
- 7 mm rifle
- .308 rifle
- SKS rifle
- Bling Shot 12 gauge shells (two cases)
- Winchester 7 mm ammunition (two cases)
- Winchester .308 ammunition (three cases)
Then last night at around 9 p.m. officers were called to the scene of another break and enter at a home on Walker Road.
Douglass says the following items were stolen:
- 270 Browning rifle
- 12 gauge 870 shotgun
- 55-inch flat screen TV with sound system
- PlayStation 4 gaming system
“Investigators are concerned that one or more persons are targeting residences in the hopes that there may be firearms,” he adds.
Considering these thefts, Douglass is offering the following tips:
- Always secure your firearms per Canadian law;
- Secure your firearms at another location (someone with a firearms licence) if you take a vacation;
- Secure your firearms safe to your residence and keep the keys with you or at another residence;
- Take photos of your guns including the serial numbers. Store the photos somewhere other than on a computer;
- Don’t talk to people about your guns or where you store them;
- Install a good security system, preferably monitored;
- Do not leave firearms unattended at remote/seasonal cabins.
If you have any information about these thefts, you are asked to call police at 250-561-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.