Ministry of Mines Probes “Blast”
Prince George, B.C.- The Ministry of Mines is looking into the incident Monday night in Prince George, which rattled windows of residences along the north side of the Nechako River .
Residents reported hearing what they thought was an explosion, numerous calls were made to Prince George RCMP and emergency personnel rushed to Otway Road to find the source . They scoured the area for an hour and a half until they discovered it was a controlled blast at a gravel extraction quarry.
The Ministry of Mines informs 250News Regional Mines inspectors have verbally issued a shutdown of the operation in that quarry and an investigation is underway. The inspectors have been in communication with the mining permit holder to get more details about the incident.
According to City Hall, the mining permit allows for operations in that quarry to take place between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The blast occurred at approximately 8:30 p.m. Monday night. According to a CBC report, those responsible for the blast said they had planned to do it earlier in the day and had experienced some delays but decided to go ahead with the blast because they couldn’t leave the blast area unattended.
The Ministry of Mines says public complaints will be recorded for follow up, if needed, during their investigation.