Changes Made to Emergency Registration
Prince George, B.C. – Northern Health is implementing a new method for after-hours patient registration across the region.
At most NH facilities, registration of patients at Emergency is done by clinical (nursing) staff after they have medically assessed, or triaged, the patient. The only facility that offers 24/7 in-person patient registration staffed by registration clerks is the University Hospital of Northern BC (UHNBC).
As of this month emergency patients at 10 NH facilities will register using technology that automatically connects with trained NH registration clerks at a central office within UHNBC. During remote registration hours, patients will continue to be medically assessed by clinical staff when they arrive at their local hospital. Patients will then be directed to the after-hours remote registration video phone for their registration process.
The technology allows the registration clerk to see the patient and relevant identification such as a BC Services Card to avoid registration errors or omissions. In cases where a patient is unable to self-register, a designated person who has patient information such as a family member can complete the registration process for the patient.
Implementation timelines are as follows:
· Bulkley Valley District Hospital, Smithers
· Dawson Creek and District Hospital
· Fort Nelson General Hospital
· GR Baker Hospital, Quesnel
· Houston Health Centre
· Kitimat General Hospital and Health Centre
· Lakes District Hospital and Health Centre, Burns Lake
· McBride and District Hospital
· Valemount Community Health Centre
· Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Hazelton
· Chetwynd Hospital and Health Centre
· Fort St. John Hospital
· Haida Gwaii Hospital and Health Centre – Xaayda Gwaay Ngaaysdll Naay
· Mackenzie and District Hospital and Health Centre
· Mills Memorial Hospital, Terrace
· Northern Haida Gwaii Hospital and Health Centre, Masset
· Prince Rupert Regional Hospital
· St. John Hospital, Vanderhoof
· Stewart Health Centre
· Stikine Health Centre
· Stuart Lake Hospital, Fort St. James
· Tumbler Ridge Community Health Centre