School’s Out ICBC Reminds Motorists
Prince George, B.C. – With today being the final day of school for children across the province, ICBC is reminding motorists to be extra careful when driving near playgrounds and around youth walking or riding their bikes.
ICBC says every year five pedestrians between the ages of 5 and 18 die and 250 are injured in crashes involving a vehicle.
(On average, six children are injured in crashes in the North Central region.)
In addition to that, ICBC says one young cyclist dies every year in and another 120 are injured in crashes involving a vehicle in B.C.
With these stats in mind, ICBC has issued some tips for drivers:
- Playground speed limits are year-round (30km/hr)
- Summer school speed limits are in effect (30km/hr from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Wait at crosswalks
- Slow down on residential streets
- Be patient with younger cyclists
- Watch out for distracted walkers wearing headphones.
Tips for parents:
- Review safety rules
- Accompany young children
- Play in safe outdoor play areas
- Demonstrate good walking habits
- Be aware that distracted walking can distract walkers from noticing oncoming cars
- Teach cycling safety to your kid (s)
- Make sure your child wears a helmet