Imperial Metals Files Mt. Polley Re-start Application
Prince George, B.C. – Imperial Metals has filed an application for a restricted re-start of its Mount Polley operation in Likely.
Ministry of Energy and Mines spokesperson David Haslam says it was filed March 20 and notes the ministry will decide tomorrow on whether the application is acceptable to move to a formal review.
If accepted for formal review, he says the application will be referred to the Cariboo Region Mine Development Review Committee on March 30 for review, adding a 30-day public consultation period would also begin and conclude on April 29.
The proposal will require permits under the Mines Act and the Environmental Management Act.
A decision on whether or not to issue the permits would be made in early June.
United Steelworkers Local 1-425 president Paul French hopes the process gets moving quickly and fairly because jobs are at stake.
“The process has to happen, the consultation has to happen, the do’s and dont’s have to happen.”
Imperial laid off around 50 workers last month and another 36 back in November.
All of this after the tailings pond breached August 4, 2014.