Stanley Cup Riot Anniversary Today
Vancouver, B.C. – Today marks the 4th anniversary of the Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver when the Canucks lost to Boston and angry crowds trashed downtown Vancouver.According to the Criminal Justice Branch, 300 people faced 887 criminal charges in connection with the riot.
In all, the CJB received investigative reports on 366 people from police for possible charges. The charge assessment process has been completed, and the CJB has not received any further files since October of last year.
The Branch has concluded there would be no charges approved for 66 people.
Here are the numbers on the status of the charges:
- 285 of the people charged entered guilty pleas
- 8 have had their charges resolved by trial, 7 were found guilty one was acquitted.
- 281 have been sentenced
- There are two whose trials are complete, but the Court has reserved its decision until September
- Four others have had their charges stayed by the Court
- There is an outstanding warrant for one accused who no longer lives in Canada.