Council to Look at Plan for Parks Survey
Prince George, B.C. -Prince George City council meets this evening and will examine the plan for a parks strategy that will examine existing facilities and decide where taxpayers money would best be spent.
With limited dollars to support new parks, upgrades to aging sites, and expansion of operations, the strategy is aimed at making sure the dollars available will give residents the best bang for the buck.
Through public consultation , staff will develop a plan that lays out priorities and options which include:
The plan would look at existing sites and determine a category for each property:
- Addition (New) – Acquisition of parkland or the development of new outdoor recreation facilities
- Replacement – Replace aging outdoor recreation facilities
- Betterment – Improve the service capacity of existing park or outdoor recreation facilities
- Repurposing –Change the existing use of park areas or outdoor recreation facilities
- Disposal –Sale of surplus parks or removal of outdoor recreation facilities
This is the first step in the parks strategy as the final recommendations are not expected to be back before Council until the winter of 2016.