Barbeque Fire Spreads to Hart House
Prince George, B.C. – Prince George firefighters were called into action to extinguish a fire that started in a barbeque and spread to a house in the Hart Highlands Saturday evening.
Prince George Fire Rescue Assistant Chief John Heaslip tells 250 News that the call to a house in the 3100 block Poyner Crescent, off Highland Drive, came in just after 6 pm. “We got a call for a reported barbeque on fire on the back deck that was starting to catch the house on fire. Upon arrival our crews found a back corner of the home engulfed in flame and we were able to get attack lines to the back corner and extinguish the house.”
Assistant Chief Heaslip adds that “smoke did get up into the eaves and attic and we were able to stop it in the attic.” As far a structural damage goes he says “damage estimates at this time are probably around 40 to 50-thousand-dollars.”
Heaslip says “there were four people home at the time. They were able to get everybody out of the house. There’s no injuries to anybody in the home or to any firefighters who attended this call.”
Six units and crews from PG Fire Rescue, two ambulance crews, two RCMP units and FortisBC personnel attended the scene.
Regarding the cause of the fire Assistant Chief Heaslip says “we believe the barbeque started the fire and it’ll be under further investigation but at this point it just looks like a barbeque, for some reason, did catch on fire, spread toward the house and caught the house on fire.” He says there was no explosion of a tank on the barbeque.