Crackdown on Dangerous Intersections Nets Results
Prince George, B.C. – In early July, the Prince George RCMP Traffic Unit made it clear, its members were going to be focusing on the major crash sites in Prince George in an effort to reduce collisions and injuries. The first two months of that effort are complete and during that period, 260 violations were noted.
Focusing on high risk behaviours by drivers approaching the intersections with the highest frequency of crashes, the PG RCMP Traffic unit issued the following:
- 16 impaired charges
- 120 speeding charges
- 15 intersection-related violations
- 10 seatbelt charges
- 5 distracted driving charges and
- 94 other charges, including license infractions, vehicle equipment, and other moving violations.
The intersections that have the highest frequency of crashes in Prince George are:
- Domano/Hwy 16
- Highway 97/Central Street at 15th Ave
- Ferry Avenue and Hwy 16
- Highway 16 and 97
- 15th Avenue, ,Patricia Boulevard/ Victoria Street
- 20th and Victoria Street
- Konrath road/Westgate Road/ Hwy 16
- 15th and Ospika
- Massey Drive at 17th/20th and Carney
- Cowart/Vance Roads and Hwy 16
Sergeant Matt LaBelle, who is in charge of the PG RCMP Traffic Unit, says says the intersections represent 21% of the total collisions in Prince George, and 21% of the casualty or injuries as a result of a collision.