Stopping Trump, How About Stopping Hilary Clinton?
Yes, the US oligarchy has now got what it wants. A big, bad boogieman that terrifies little children, pet rabbits and CNN commentators. And that boogieman is, of course, none other than the billionaire and rogue oligarch Donald Trump.
Now, Trump himself laid the groundwork for his boogieman image with his often outrageous and offensive behavior. But this image has been magnified to extraordinary proportions by the Establishment media, which has worked, as shown by recent email leaks, in close concert with the Clinton campaign (1), (2), (3).
What is the purpose of creating this boogieman? It’s quite simple. To scare the American people into voting for Hillary Clinton, an unsavory, highly unpopular candidate with a history of reckless and dangerous behavior, both in domestic and foreign affairs; a candidate who has been a longstanding shill for Wall Street banks and the corporate oligarchy.
Various celebrities, pundits, and politicians, including Canadian ones, have come out shouting from the rooftops that the boogieman Trump must be stopped, that he is worse than Hitler, that the sky will fall in, and so on. Fine. Go for it. But what about stopping Hillary Clinton?
For the irony in all this is that, going just by her record in foreign affairs, Clinton is even more dangerous than Trump in that realm. If Trump is an inconsistent interventionist and war mongerer, Clinton has been fanatically and consistently aggressive in both her past record as Secretary of State and present policies.
Here are just a few examples:
• Her support for the invasion of Iraq;
• As Secretary of State advocating for the overthrow and murder of Libya leader Qadaffi, subsequently plunging that country into chaos and a haven for ISIS and other terrorists (4);
• Her ongoing support for ISIS and Al Queda linked terrorists in Syria (5);
• Her promotion of a “no-fly zone” in Syria and “regime change”, which even a top U.S. general has stated will mean outright war with Syria and Russia (6), (7);
• Her support for the overthrow of the democratically-elected president of Honduras and installation of a military dictatorship (8);
• Her support for the coup in Ukraine that overthrew the Yanukovich government and plunged that country into chaos and confrontation with Russia (9).
• Her ramping up of tensions with Russia, a major nuclear power, to their highest level in many decades with inflammatory statements claiming, without actual proof, that Russia and Putin are behind the email leaks and hacking of Democrat National Committee websites (10), (11).
• And so on (for a more comprehensive list see footnote 12).
On a personal level, both candidates are equally offensive. Yes, Trump, especially for his past outrageous comments about women, Hispanics and other sectors of the population. But what about Clinton’s comments when she was a lawyer and got a rapist of a 12 year old child off on a technicality and then laughed about it on tape (13)? Or when she cackled on video about the overthrow, torture and murder of Libyan leader Qadaffi (14)?
The Establishment media, however, does not go for “equal opportunity” in revealing the offensiveness of each candidate. Instead, Trump is attacked relentlessly, while Clinton is allowed to sit off fanning herself in the shade, despite damning leaked emails and other controversies piling up daily.
All of this exposes the bankruptcy and shambles of the two party system in the U.S. which the U.S. Establishment has traditionally used to keep itself in power, as well as to disempower the electorate.
In the midst of these shambles, it is apparent that the U.S. Establishment wants a big win for Clinton, one in which she can claim a “mandate” from the American people, to plunge ahead with more aggression abroad against Syria and other countries, and ramped up confrontation with Russia. This is playing with fire.
The nearest precedent in American history might be the presidential race of Republican Barry Goldwater against the Democrat Lyndon Baines Johnson back in 1964. Goldwater, like Trump, was portrayed as the “boogeyman”, and LBJ, the man of peace. Of course, after winning the most lop-sided election in U.S. history, LBJ tossed aside the peace hat and, with his so-called mandate, proceeded to ramp up the U.S. aggression against Viet Nam and Indochina to unprecedented levels. And we all know the disaster that resulted.
The outcome of this U.S. election? Clinton will be the likely winner and, either way, the American people will be the losers. Whoever wins, an extremely toxic atmosphere has been created by both Democrat and Republican camps that could result in civil conflict and even civil war down the road.
In the midst of all this, enlightened Americans are striving to find a way forward, by taking a stand against the endless aggressive wars of the U.S. Establishment and against an out-of-control banking and corporate oligarchy, as well as working to build a political process that is genuinely democratic and puts the future of the country in the hands of the American people.
Therein lies the hope.
Peter Ewart is a columnist and writer based in Prince George, British Columbia. He can be reached at: email@example.com
1. Greenwald, Glenn. “New email leak reveals Clinton Campaign’s cozy press relationship.” The Intercept. October 9, 2016. https://theintercept.com/2016/10/09/exclusive-new-email-leak-reveals-clinton-campaigns-cozy-press-relationship/
2. Nazarian, Adelle. “Donna Brazile denies feeding Hillary Clinton questions ahead of CNN Town Hall.” Breitbart News. October 12, 2016. http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2016/10/12/donna-brazile-wikileaks-question/
3. “Leaked emails expose tight link between CNBC and Clinton Campaign.” Zero Hedge. October 11, 2016. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-10/emails-expose-cnbcs-john-harwood-diligent-hillary-clinton-fanboy
4. Curtin, Edward. “Happy Anniversary, Hillary Clinton, you’ve destroyed Libya… We await your next war.” Global Research. October 12, 2016. http://www.globalresearch.ca/happy-fifth-anniversary-hillary-clinton-youve-destroyed-libya-we-await-your-next-war/5538659
5. Dinucci, Manlio. “The art of war, destroying countries: Libya, Syria and Hillary Clinton’s ‘explosive emails’.” Global Research. September 24, 2016. http://www.globalresearch.ca/destroying-countries-libya-syria-and-hillary-clintons-explosive-emails/5547637
6. Jilani, Zaid. “In secret Goldman Sachs speech, Hillary Clinton admitted no-fly zone would ‘kill a lot of Syrians’.” The Intercept. October 10, 2016. https://theintercept.com/2016/10/10/in-secret-goldman-sachs-speech-hillary-clinton-admitted-no-fly-zone-would-kill-a-lot-of-syrians/
7. Dean, Jim W. “No-fly zone would ‘require war with Syria and Russia’ – General Dunford.” Veterans Today. September 23, 2016. http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/09/23/no-fly-zone-would-require-war-with-syria-and-russia-general-dunford/
8. Guzman, Timothy Alexander. “The forgotten coup: Hillary Clinton’s ‘dirty hands’ in the 2009 Honduran coup.” The Silent Crow. July 20, 2016. http://silentcrownews.com/wordpress/?p=4934
9. Street, Paul. “Hillary Clinton’s neocon resume.” Counterpunch. May 20, 2016. http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/05/20/hillary-clintons-neocon-resume/
10. Lendman, Stephen. “Israeli intelligence debunks notion of Russia Hacking DNC emails.” Global Research. July 31, 2016. http://www.globalresearch.ca/israeli-intelligence-debunks-notion-of-russia-hacking-dnc-emails/5538966
11. “Clinton campaign blames Russian hackers as Assange promises more leaks.” Russia Today (RT). October 8, 2016. https://www.rt.com/op-edge/362032-clinton-dnc-leak-russia/
12. Madsen, Wayne. “The complete A to Z of nations destroyed by Hillary’s hubris.” Zero Hedge. September 31, 2016. https://www.rt.com/op-edge/362032-clinton-dnc-leak-russia/
13. Payton, Bre. “Rape victim: Hillary Clinton laughed at me and blamed me for getting raped.” The Federalist. October 11, 2016. http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/11/rape-victim-hillary-clinton-laughed-blamed-getting-raped/
14. “Shamelessly sadistic Hillary: We came, we saw, he died.” Truthfeed. June 29, 2016. http://truthfeed.com/flashback-shamelessly-sadistic-hillary-we-came-we-saw-he-died/9792/