Cold Means High Demand on Hydro
During that hour, demand for electricity peaked at 10,126 megawatts.
The previous record high was 10,113 megawatts between 5 and 6pm on November 29th of 2006.
As the cold snap continues, demand for electricity throughout the province is expected to remain high. BC Hydro says it is preparing for peak loads between 9,800 and 10,200 megawatts this week.
BC Hydro offers a few tips for residential customers who want to save electricity and dollars:
- Manage your thermostat. Lowering it by two degrees to save 5 per cent. Lowering it by five degree to save 10 per cent.
- Unplug your second fridge and save up to $90 per year.
- Unplug unused electronics and save $50 per year.
- Wash laundry in cold water and save $27 per year.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and save $12 per year.