250 News - Your News, Your Views, Now

October 27, 2017 4:16 pm

July P.G.’s 11th Driest on Record

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 @ 5:55 AM

Prince George, B.C. – July was a drier than normal month in Prince George.

Alyssa Charbonneau, meteorologist with Environment Canada, says there was just 28.2 millimetres of rain- well below the average of 62.1 for the month.

“So, we’re well below that. It puts you at the eleventh driest July on record.”

(She says the record driest was 0.8 millimetres in 1958.)

As for temperatures though, she says July was an average month.

“Temperature wise the average was 15.1 degrees Celsius and the normal is 15.8. So slightly below but fairly close.”

So, what does August have in store?

“The beginning of August looks like more of the same with an even stronger ridge of high pressure than we’ve seen in recent days,” says Charbonneau.

“Driving temperatures up to the high 20s or low 30s right through the rest of this week. If we look at the second week of August not a lot of change – very dry though temperatures may be down slightly.”


1958 was a record year for forest fires (wildfires) also. 8,358.76 sq km of forest went up in smoke. The greatest number of fires (4,068) occurred in 1994, but they burned over a smaller area.

The Washington Post did a story today where super smart scientists say we only have a 5% chance of avoiding “dangerous global warming”

So, if there goal is to get us to do something about it – big fail.

Basically they are saying there’s no hope. 95% chance it’s going to happen.

One thing you learn in motivational theory, is if the chance of a course of action changing an outcome is small, and the course of action is very inconvenient, humans will do nothing.

Instead of trying to convince us the planet was going to burn to a crisp, they should’ve pointed out the pollution from fossil fuels is killing us, and even a little bit helps. Give us reachable goals with tangible outcomes.

Instead they basically said we can win a million dollars if we step into the ring with Mike Tyson and knock him out. There’s a 5% chance that will happen, there’s a 95% chance he’ll put you into a coma for the rest of your life – so who would step into that ring – not me.

Now if we could just find a way to stop those pesky Volcanos from emitting so much co2 into the atmosphere.

Was it considered **global warming** in 1958 when there was basically no rain in July and the biggest forest fire season on record, or was it called a **hot summer**

Very good Palopu….I was born in Prince George in 1957 a resident all my life. Throughout the years we would have **hot and dry summers** followed by cold and snowy winters, then “Cool rainy summers” followed by warmer and dryer winters. The weather is what it is, attaching idioms to the weather like “Global Warming” and “Climate Change” is just wishful science to extract taxes from people, which have no effect but stifle economic growth and make people/nations poor. :(

1982 was a hot dry summer here in PG and introduced me and my buddies at the time to some firefighting. Back then initial training was “name please”

Comments for this article are closed.