New Evacuation Order as Wildfires Rage On
Williams Lake, B.C. – The wildfire situation has prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue an evacuation order for the North Arm of Quesnel Lake.
Due to the immediate danger, members of the RCMP or other groups will be expediting this action. The evacuation route is by water and those affected must leave immediately.
The CRD says affected residents should do the following:
- You must leave the area immediately.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help.
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and Keys) only if they are immediately available. Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
- Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
Kevin Skrepnek, chief information officer with the BC Wildfire Service, says the order affected three or four vacation properties in the area.
Chris Duffy with Emergency Management BC adds by all accounts the evacuation went smoothly.
For more information contact the CRD’s public information line at 1-866-759-4977.