Southeast Fire Centre Wildfire Update
Prince George, B.C. – The Regional District of East Kootenay has implemented a full evacuation order for the Moyie Lake area.
Also, the Regional District of East Kootenay has implemented an Evacuation Order for some areas on the west side of Lake Koocanusa, and an Evacuation Alert for some areas on the east side of Lake Koocanusa, effective immediately. Additionally, as a precautionary measure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District has issued an evacuation alert for Heather Lodge and CP Railway work yard effective immediately. All of these Alerts and Orders are in effect and were put in place last night.
Linklater Creek wildfire
* Located 18 Kilometres southwest of Newgate (65 kilometres southeast of Cranbrook). This 130-hectare wildfire has 19 personnel on site today working with airtankers, helicopters and heavy equipment.
* The portion of the fire that has crossed the border has not experienced significant growth however the portion in the USA has grown eastward.
* As a precautionary measure, in the interest of public safety, the Regional District of East Kootenay has implemented an Evacuation Order for some areas on the west side of Lake Koocanusa, and an Evacuation Alert for some areas on the east side of Lake Koocanusa,
Lamb Creek wildfire
* Located about five kilometres northwest of the community of Moyie and 18 kilometres southwest of Cranbrook.
* This 220-hectare wildfire is in difficult terrain containing volatile fuel types that will challenge fire suppression operations.
* Today there are 35 personnel on site building fire guards with the aid of heavy equipment, helicopters, airtankers and crews are setting up sprinkler protection units.
Mountain Creek wildfire
* The BC Wildfire Service is working in conjunction with Parks Canada on the Mountain Creek fire that’s burning in Glacier National Park.
* Due to increased wind activity and continuing hot and dry conditions, this fire experienced some growth. Currently three helicopters are working on this fire.
* As a precautionary measure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District has re-issued an evacuation alert for Heather Lodge and the area (same area as on Aug 4, 2017) outlined in green on the district’s document posted at: http://ow.ly/C8x330ecbqy