Ammonia Leak Forces Evacuation in McBride
McBride, B.C. – An ammonia leak at the Robson Valley Recreation Centre forced an evacuation in McBride this morning.
It was first reported to emergency services just after 2:00 a.m. which prompted the implementation of McBride’s Emergency Response Plan.
Approximately 130 residents were evacuated from the containment area by the McBride Volunteer Fire Department while a reception centre was set up at a local church.
No injuries have been reported.
“The ammonia leak has been contained and repairs are underway. A Ministry of Environment officer was brought in from Prince George and conducted testing throughout the containment area,” said Marc von der Gonna, information officer with the Emergency Operations Centre.
“Upon completion of testing (approximately 9:00 a.m.) it was determined that it was safe to remove the evacuation order as zero levels of ammonia were detected. Residents returning to the area were asked to open windows and take other measures to ventilate their homes, and asked to immediately contact authorities if they detected ammonia in their homes.”
An official cause of the leak hasn’t been released but Regional District of Fraser Fort-George staff report that repairs are being affected and the leak has been contained.
There is no longer any danger of future leaks.