Hotel Site Scene of Activity
Site clean up underway – photo250News
Prince George, B.C. – The question has been the same for the past couple of years, ‘when will work start on the new hotel site next to the library’. The answer is, now.
Crews have started cleaning up the site which has been idle since the spring of 2014 and a new Atco trailer has arrived on the property and will be the construction office for the project.
It has been confirmed construction will soon resume, and the project will be a “Courtyard” hotel by Marriott.
Initially, the hotel was to be a Delta Hotel , but construction stalled, and then Marriott bought out Delta.
A special news conference is set for a week from tomorrow at the site where details of the new project will be released.
The permits for the project are ready and only need to be picked up from City Hall. The permits list this construction value at $20 million dollars, the previous foundation work had a construction value of $9 million.
- April 2012 – Developers announce intent to build a hotel/condo complex on the site at 10th and Brunswick. It is valued at $40 million dollars, and will include 34 to 36 condos
- October 2013 – Delta announces it will build a 4 star “full service hotel” on the site, and that it will be completed by 2015, just in time for the Canada Winter Games.
- November 2013 – Official ground breaking ceremony at the site, although concrete forms were already in place.
- March 2014 – work stops at the site
- December 2014 – plywood fence is installed around worksite
- January 2015 – Marriott buys out Delta Hotels in Canada
- June 2016- rumours abound that the project will soon be revived
- July 2016 – Confirmation that Marriott will build one of its “Courtyard” hotels on the site, construction value is $20 million.
It is expected work crews will be on site early next week to start construction of the hotel.