NDP a No Show at All Candidates Forum
Shirley Bond Hilary Crowley and Mike Morris flank three empty seats. Photo 250News
Prince George, B.C.- The first all candidates forum in Prince George got underway this morning, with three candidates missing.
Neither the NDP candidates for both the Prince George-Valemount (Natalie Fletcher) and Prince George-Mackenzie (Bobby Deepak) ridings attended the event. Also missing was Nan Kendy, the BC Green candidate for Prince George -Valemount.
“We are very disappointed that all candidates are not here” said Mike Davis of the Independent Contractors and Businesses Association (ICBA) which together with the North Regional Construction Association presented the morning event in downtown Prince George. Davis says all candidates were approached early and were advised the theme of the event would be about construction.
Prince George Mackenzie NDP candidate tweeted that he had never confirmed attendance, and that the organizers had been advised he would not be able to attend: ” I am on way to Mackenzie, prior commitments. I did not confirm attendance. The organizers were informed” tweeted Deepak. He also tweeted that he would not miss any further forums.
Davis says the New Democrats did inform organizers last Friday that they were not able to attend “We tried to make this event as neutral as possible, and we had hoped they would change their minds and attend.”
The candidates were each asked five questions:
- Party plans to support a healthy and vibrant construction sector
- To explain their party’s position on investing in infrastructure in Northern B.C.
- Explain their position on resource development ( mining, oil and gas and forestry) in Northern B.C.
- How their party will improve and encourage education opportunities for people entering the killed Trades/Technical Design Fields
- If major energy and infrastructure projects in B.C. can be built without relying on temporary foreign workers.