Voneugen Birthday Run Underway
Prince George, B.C. – Die hard runners will be taking part in today’s Dick Voneugen Birthday Run.
Voneugen is well known in the community, having organized the first Terry Fox run, and being a founding member of the Cranbrook Hill Greenway Society, the running group Prince George Roadrunners and the Outdoor Ice Oval Society.
Each year, Voneugen would run the same number of kilometers as his age with a group of friends. He ran 60kms on his 60th birthday, and then decided to cut the run by one km per year. At the age of 72 he ran 48 kilometers .
This year, Dick is 84, and while not actually pounding the pavement himself, he will be cheering on those who do participate and will be setting up the aid stations along the way.
Jeff Hunter is one of the runners who will be doing the full 84 kms. “It’s not too bad” says Hunter “There is a group of us who are into the long distance runs, so I won’t be alone, there will be a few others joining me.”
If you weren’t up and running at 6 this morning, you missed the start to the 84 km run, but not to worry, there are several start times for shorter distances, all on trails throughout Prince George, and all scheduled to end at the Otway Centre around 4 this afternoon.
- 50 km run starts at about 9:45 at the Foothills crossing
- 42,2 km starts at 10:50 on North Nechako road Near the Edgewood subdivision
- 24 km starts at 1:20 at the Cranbrook Hill Greenway Blue Spruce Trailhead (Near Art Knapps on Hwy 16 west).
- 18 km start – approximately 2:00 pm – UNBC Greenway Parking Lot.
- 7.5 km start – approximately 3:15 pm – Intersection of Takla Road and the Cranbrook Hill Greenway.
And if you missed taking part in this year’s version, you can start getting in shape for next year, but be prepared it will be 85 kms.
Comments for this article are closed.