Name Released of Man who Died in Custody
Prince George, B.C. – The man who died in the Prince George RCMP cellblock was 51 year old Jamie Wilford Shanoss..
He had been taken into custody in the early morning hours of Monday Nov. 21, by Prince George RCMP in the downtown area of Prince George and was placed in a cell at the detachment.
Shortly after 2 a.m., an RCMP member noticed Mr. Shanoss appeared to be unresponsive, and 911 was called.
Efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.
The BC Coroners Service and the Independent Investigations Office (IIO) continue to investigate this death.
The mandate of the IIO is to investigate whether any offences may have been committed by the police officers involved. The mandate of the BC Coroners Service in such cases is broader, and the coroner’s investigation may look at the events which led up to the final fatal outcome and whether there are reasonable and practical recommendations that could be made which might prevent future deaths in similar circumstances.
This kind of thing shouldn’t happen. One would think if the guy was in distress that the RCMP would have had someone watching around the clock. Being a brand new jail one would hope that they have video tapes of the whole situation, so as to learn from it and avoid this ever happening in the future.
A lot of questions come to mind topmost being was he a diabetic? Did he have any other underlying medical issues? Was it an overdose? Was he agitated when brought in? Did he have conflict with the police when apprehended?
Where did you read that he was in distress?
He was arrested for being drunk in a public place and placed in a cell as countless others have been placed in the past.
Are you advocating that every drunk that is jailed overnight to sleep it off be provided with a private baby sitter to watch over them all night long?
I would suggest that video surveillance would have seen this guy simply sleeping
It will be interesting to hear if an autopsy is performed, and what the results are.
I’d be willing to bet that this fellow was ill, and maybe not intoxicated.
Comments for this article are closed.